March 2020

March 2020

Monday, February 21, 2011

Pinewood Derby

Being the mother of boys requires much more ingenuity. This became painfully obvious to me as my youngest son worked on his car for the Boy Scout Pinewood Derby this weekend. I am crafty but am not this type of crafty. Car design is not my thing. Here is Emerson's very first car and it was cool. The lighting is not the best, but he was very proud of his work. We watched all of the competition from the Tigers up to the Webelos and cheered everyone on - but much to his disappointment, Emerson didn't end up in Victory Lane. This is one of those painful lessons every child must learn. I know all of you parents who are reading this understand what this feels like and I had to fight every urge to try and make this better. It took all of my strength to let this life lesson run it's course and not buy some other type of consolation prize. This was our time to learn how to be a gracious loser. Please understand that when I say this was a very tough decision - it was harder than anything I have done thus far - but it was time. You hate to see your child cry - but this is life. He congratulated his fellow scouts on their victory and we spent some time talking about how he could learn something. He was brave and we are so proud of him. Great job Emerson and better luck next year!!!!

No comments: