March 2020

March 2020

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

In The Beginning God Made The Seas...

This was ocean week and it was really fun. We learned so many amazing facts and are ready for summer vacations. (Watch out parents - there will be questions coming your way!) I am still amazed at your children's hunger for knowledge and facts. They are so smart and excited about learning. Ask your child to share what they know about salty water, what makes waves, and what beach sand is actually made of. They can also tell you how many oceans are on the earth and that there is more water than land. (Oh and don't forget sharks - they were a hot topic and we all understand that they when they bite a person - it is an accident. Actually, more people die of getting hit on the head with a coconut than by shark bites.)

Here we made a cool ocean collage. We used finger paint to create our cool ocean water and added many different types of sea life. It is quite the piece of art.
We also made an aquarium complete with fingerprint fish. The children can't wait to bring these home. It is very low maintenance and requires no water or fish food - just your adoring eyes at their art.
Happy Early Summer - this unit really gets us ready for summer. (PS - We had a long talk about swimming and I instructed the children to never go near water without a parent or adult. Several children shared that their parents gave them permission to swim without them being there - but I continued with my instructions. I apologize if I stepped on any one's toes - but I have experienced two separate occasions where children jumped in water with parent's permission and no supervision and also assisted in their rescue when the water was too deep. These were team sports parties and it wasn't my children. It can happen so fast - even if your child can swim, I felt it necessary to talk about water safety.) I also talked about swimming lessons and why children shouldn't be embarrassed to attend them. Again - more children tried to make comments about "swimming lessons being for babies" and I had to stand my ground. You can never be too safe.

1 comment:

Bonnie and Trish @ Uncommon Designs said...

Thank you for watching over them and guiding them so lovingly. There have been so many occassions where I have been so thankful for the words of wisdom (and safety) that you bestow on our kids. You guys are the best.