March 2020

March 2020

Thursday, November 15, 2012

A Yarn Doll

As we spent time this week learning about Native Americans & Pilgrims, we also looked at the types of toys they had.  We played with a wooden cup/ball on a string game, a wooden spinning top and today the girls got a homemade yarn doll.  (I had no idea my boys would want one so they will go home on Monday.)  These little yarn dolls are not actually specific to Pilgrims, but they are simple and close to what girls would have been given. (Made from scraps of old cloth or sewing string.)  They don't do anything...except just feel soft.  They are definitely not an American Girl.  They have no face, no fancy clothes, and make no noises...but these girls were so excited to get them. They sat at carpool sharing their dolls and pretending to have them talk to each other.  The girls were picking out names and even making pretend play dates.  How fun...simple and imaginary play!  I think I'll make one for myself just to keep around for those days when I need a hug. 

No comments: