March 2020

March 2020

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Snow Cream

This is winter, right? We have been learning about this since we returned from the holidays, but it hasn't really felt very cold. Usually during this time of year we get a small "snow blessing" to help us really identify with this season, but so far we have had no luck. Well to help us get in the spirit, we had a delicious snack reminiscent of my childhood...snow cream. Yes you can buy this in the store next to the ice cream. It is simply called "snow cream" and the children loved it. Now in the "olden days" of my childhood my nanny would make this frozen treat for me when God blessed Lexington with a snow shower. She carefully gathered the snow, mixed it with milk, sugar and vanilla flavoring and then tenderly stirred this together to make a creamy snow ice cream. (When making snow cream, you have to be careful when mixing it together. If you stir too much you can make the snow melt and then just have sweet vanilla milk.) So this was a happy snack for the week and I am glad the children loved it so much. If you have never tried this, I am quite sure your little one would not be disappointed to have some of this sweet treat to enjoy at home. Maybe when you get to the "do a funny snow dance" homework assignment, you could use this as a celebration. Anyway, happy winter and thanks for letting me share my childhood memories with you.

No comments: